How can I save energy at home?
- Using low voltage lights; 12volts (current) as opposed to 120volts; changing from incandescent to compact fluorescent; Using LEDs (Light emitting diodes)
- Simply switch off lights while not in use
- Switch off all electrical gadgets while they are not in use e.g. pumps, heaters
- Timers & photo electric sensors for hall lighting and outdoor security
- Increase temperature when leaving home and decrease temperature upon arrival. This ensures that the space does not heat up during those hottest hours of the day.
- Invest in double glazing glass installations to exclude heat from interior.
- Install radiant barriers on roofs
- Invest in wall insulation
- Choose energy efficient appliances yellow tagged–if not available from the retailer go to the internet and research it before purchasing
- Install aerators in household taps throughout the property
- Start a compost heap at home for use in gardening to reduce the need to go far distances in your vehicle for fertilizer for the garden / potted plants.
- Reuse Styrofoam containers to pot seedlings
- Use a bicycle when possible instead of using the car